November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving weekend

November 22nd – Thanksgiving Because this was our first year without Dad I wanted to do something different than our regular traditions. What we decided to do was let the kids spend the night with Kay and Ron and I went shopping. Let me just say that Thanksgiving Night shopping at Walmart is INSANE! We had done a lot of shopping on Veterans Day and had gotten most of our Christmas shopping out of the way, but some of the extras we wanted were on sale. We ended up saving almost $100 on different gifts. I also lucked into a full size sewing machine for $50. Maybe now I can actually take the time to learn to sew. After all the standing in line and shopping we had a late night dinner at Braum’s. Then headed home to rest up for the next day. Black Friday we got up early and headed to Old Navy and Target. Got some good deals there and then went by the mall for a little while. Gran called around lunch time and we went and picked up the kids so that she could run some errands herself. Super fun day! Glad we got to do something a little out of the ordinary this year. Every Thanksgiving night our Elf On The Shelf comes back to visit. His name is Kody and he became ours a couple of years ago. This year, since Krennan is SO busy (and in to everything) we decided that we might need two elves. So Ron and I discussed it with Kody and he agreed that watching over both the K’s might be a little much this year. He decided to bring his sister, Kandie! So, starting this year we now have two holiday visitors. It’s so funny to watch how excited the kids are to wake up and see where they’ve perched for the day. After they find them in the morning, everybody has to come and say hello to the elves. A sweet way to start the day! On another note, on Saturday the day after the kids came home, Kay called to tell us that Eli was sick with a stomach virus. He missed school on Monday. On Monday night Joe caught the bug and missed work Tuesday and Wednesday. Ron talked to Kay on Wednesday and she felt OK, just tired. Thursday, I called her on my way to work and she was still tired but thought that she would be able to pick up Krennan from school and keep him for the afternoon until I got off work. I hadn’t been at work very long when she called and has passed out at Papa Cross’ house. She was going to rest there for a little while before trying to drive home but she didn’t feel comfortable picking up Krennan. Can somebody please tell me why these things don’t happen when Ron’s off? He, of course, was back at work for the week and Mom decided to take a real vacation for a change. Good grief! I rearranged some things at work and ended up leaving early, picking up Krennan at school and then picking up Kaleaha. We decided to eat Chick-Fil-A before gymnastics and then Krennan and I dropped Kaleaha off for practice. Luckily I work with some great girls at the bank and they were willing to fill in for me on Friday too so that Kay wouldn’t have to watch Krennan if she wasn’t feeling well. It’s a good thing we had scheduled things that way because she ended up still feeling really bad on Friday, so little guy and I spent the whole day together. We took Sis lunch at school and he got to play out on the playground with her. I think he’ll be really excited when he gets to go to “big” school with her. At least at recess!
Saturday, Ron went back to work and we hung out at home. They love to act silly every chance they get. So, at bed time, Ron had just gotten home from work and they decided to see how many animals they could pile on top of his head! He was thrilled to accommodate them, you can tell.

No comments: